Sunday, March 30, 2014

The Fourth Sunday in Lent, 30 March 2014

“Who Sinned?”
The Fourth Sunday in Lent
30 March 2014



Saint Mark’s Episcopal Church
Santa Clara, California


I Samuel 16:1-13
Psalm 23
Ephesians 5:8-14
St. John 9:1-41

INI

Living in the Past

I just finished reading a book for my book club.  It’s by an author, a Turkish man, whom I admire greatly.  The title of the book is Silent House, and the author is Orhan Pamuk.  I thought of one of the characters in this novel as I read the readings for today.  Her name is Fatma.  She came from a well-to-do Istanbul family and married a doctor.  Now, her husband having died several years ago, she hides away in a seaside mansion that is crumbling with time, awaiting the visit of her grand children.  Her attitude toward life can be seen in this brief passage from the book:

“No, I wouldn’t fall for a lie in the form of a serpent.  I never drank, except once.  I was overcome with curiosity.  When nobody at all was around.  A taste like salt, lemon, and poison on the tip of my tongue.  At that moment I was terrified.  I was sorry.  I rinsed my mouth out right away, I emptied out the glass and rinsed it over and over and I began to feel I would be dizzy.  I sat down so I wouldn’t fall on the floor, my God, I was afraid I would become an alcoholic like him, too, but nothing happened.  Then I understood and relaxed.  The devil couldn’t get near me.[1]

Fatma is greeted by a great deal of sin in her life.  She despises the degradations visited upon her by the excesses of her husband, who was banished from Imperial Service in the Ottoman Empire, and was sent to live in anyplace other than the capital.  There he works on an encyclopedia to bring the Turkey of the east and the Europe of the west into an intellectual understanding.  His wife, Fatma despises her dead husband, and now she is forced to live with her manservant, Recep, who is actually the illegitimate son of her husband.  Recep is a dwarf.

So you may be wondering what is the connection of this story.  The Gospel for today is about blindness, about living with assumptions that may be the cause of our own blindness.  Fatma lives in a blindness that doesn’t allow her to forgive her husband, even in death, nor to understand or know her grand children.  For Fatma, and for the Pharisees, the neighbors, and indeed even for the disciples there is an assumption that precedes their awareness of what is going on about them.  The assumption is that the times, the individuals who live around them, and specifically the man born blind are damaged because of their own sin, or perhaps of the sin of others.

I wonder if that is our own assumption as well.  When I drive on the freeway, my overarching assumption is that everyone else driving with me is a fool – a sinner ignorant of how one really ought to drive.  Like Fatima, I can become obsessed with the “sinfulness” of others.  I obligingly cast stones at them.  It is a habit that infects our society, where we assume that anyone who doesn’t agree with us is somehow manifesting sin.

Seeing the Mote in our Own Eye

Saint Paul sees a different point of view.  “Once you were darkness, but now in the Lord you are light.”[2]  Notice that both the darkness and light are something that is not outside of us, but is rather our essence.  The real danger is that we are darkness, and in our darkness can only see the darkness in others.  The grace that Paul hopes to convince us of is that we are really light, reflecting the light of the grace that God has given us.

If you read Face Book you will be overwhelmed by the social media’s ability to allow us to cast stones, to see all as darkness, and to objectify that darkness in the lives, politics, and hearts of others.  That is the operating principal in the Gospel reading.  Neighbors and Pharisees and Disciples can only see the man’s blindness guised in his own fault, in his own sin.  They are stuck in such a perception and condemn him to be equally caught in its malaise. 

Jesus asks us to see the mote in our own eye, before noticing the speck in our sister’s eye.  Such an attitude might silence the bad talk that we have for the others who don’t agree with us.  What might our social discourse be like if we saw only light and goodness in the speech of others, or met that speech with our own light and goodness.

Fatma lives a life of disappointment.  Her very family does not meet her standards for living.  Thus they attempt to bring together all the disparate parts of a politicized and polarized Turkey without her wisdom.  They’re on their own – a realization of the sins of prior generations. This ought to sound familiar to us, as we view what goes on about us and assume only the worst.

Resources for healing

The psalmist has a good perspective, and one that may be lost on us because of our own intimate familiarity with the 23rd psalm.

“You spread a table before me in the presence of those who trouble me;*
you have anointed my head with oil, and my cup is running over.[3]

Jesus brings healing into the midst of the relationship of the blind man and those about him.  The psalmist is aware of the healing nature of God’s grace even when it is provided in the midst of “those who trouble me.”  Who troubled Fatma?  It was her husband’s transgressions, and unbeknownst to her, her own inability to forgive him.  Who troubled the blind man?  It was any who only saw his defect and who avoided seeing his evident wholeness in God’s eyes.  And finally who is troubling you?  Whose sins are so great that you cannot forgive?  Who’s troubled life seems to invade your own sense of goodness and forgiveness?

In college, during the communion at the community Eucharist, I used to kneel there, not singing the hymn, ostensibly to pray – but really to look at those going to the communion rail.  What did I see in them?  Their grace?  Not always.  John was a classmate who troubled me, always wearing shabby clothing (his family was wealthy) always seeming to do things that disturbed others.  And there he was coming down from the altar having just partaken of the Body and Blood of Jesus.  Baptized as I was, fed as I was, forgiven as I was – my antipathy for him had to give way to some other attitude.

Jesus heals the blind man because of his faith, and surely does the same for us, for we are all blind to some extent.  We all seem to lack the ability to understand and perceive the grace that surrounds every human being.  Yet Jesus still stands in our midst urging us on.  Some come to the table that is spread in the presence of those who trouble you.  Receive the bread and wine, receive the body and blood.  But most of all receive the healing not only for yourself, but also for the world around you.

SDG



[1]    Pamuk, O. (2012), Silent House, Alfred A. Knopf, New York, page 16.
[2]    Ephesians 5:8
[3]    Psalm 23:5

No comments:

Post a Comment