Monday, September 30, 2013

A Sermon for Saint Michael and All Angels Day - 29 September 2013


The Quiet and the Hidden
Saint Michael and All Angels
30 September 2013



The Society of Catholic Priests
St. James’ Episcopal Church
San Francisco, California


Genesis 28:10-17
Psalm 103
Revelation 12:7-12
St. John 1:47-51

The Quiet Place

My office looks out onto the Labyrinth at Saint Anne’s Church.  This afternoon as I am writing this a woman has placed herself on a bench at the periphery of the path, and she just sits in the relative quiet of Fremont.  Last week it was a young man of about 20 who parked his car in the lot and took up the same position at the edge of the path.  He sat in quiet for over an hour. 

Judith, a member at another church that I served, would take her place in the quiet church during the weekday, seated in front of the icon of the Theotokos.  She would sit and move to the rhythm of her own prayer.  I would see her active in her prayer, much like my mother, Ruth, who would trace her hands in silence over the raised letters of my father’s name, at his gravesite – soon to be her own.  Silence was what mattered at that moment.  I can recall, as I recently mentioned at another gallery, walking through the halls of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, noticing a quiet and dark room.  I entered, attracted by the quiet, and was quickly taken up by a standing Buddha, the sole object in the room, place in front of a violet cloth.  This was it, I decided, this is what my faith needed to look and feel like – quiet and simple. 

Jacob comes to his own quiet place, and having just wrested the birthright from his brother, relaxes in the silence of a protective rock and sleeps, and dreams.

The Hidden Place

So why have we come here this evening?  What has drawn us here?  Is it the quietness that follows a busy day that we seek, or is it to rest and reflect in this place that is hidden from the world.  We come together as Anglo-Catholics.  It is important, I think, that we begin to understand what that means.  It is important that we acknowledge the tradition in which we serve.  In the beginnings the fathers of the Oxford Movement were not so much concerned with the gestures and vestures of the mass so much as the hidden service to which they felt called.  In the Hanoverian and later Victorian period there was a hidden neediness in British Society – and it was this ministry that first attracted the tractarians.  We can resonate.  The needs in our society are hidden by our habit of not seeing them or dealing with them. 

I recall fondly an evening with James Tramel.  We had dinner in Berkeley, and then walked down Shattuck Avenue.  Each person with a hand out was greeted by James, and given at least $1.  Finally he looked at me, handed me $5 in single bills and said, “Now it’s your turn.”  Even though I had accompanied his ministry, and observed it, I was not seeing.  It was essentially hidden from me – or more correctly, I was hiding its nature and its call to me as a Christian.

Jacob goes to a hidden place – the Yahwist indicates that it is an arbitrary place, with no essential importance or meaning.  Soon it will be revealed as something other than quiet and hidden.  Its history may have been crowded with the ancients who had gathered there in times past to honor the gods and nature.  The memories of that shatter Jacob’s presence, as he dreams what was quiet and hidden is suddenly revealed. 

The Place of Commerce

He dreamed, and, look, a ramp was set against the ground with its top reaching the heavens, and, look, messenger of G-d were going up and coming down it.”

As I reviewed this text, in my mind I saw Albrecht Dürer’s The Mass of Saint Gregory.   As the saint is offering the canon of the mass, surrounded by liturgical ministers and believers the accouterments of the mass are completed by an image – no a vision – of the resurrected Jesus’ hovering over the altar.  It is reminiscent of the text in Genesis as Jacob observes, “Adonai was poised” over Jacob.  In addition surrounding Gregory and Jacob are evidences of the commerce of heaven.  “and look messengers of G-d were going up and coming down it.”

Had I looked deeper at the lady and young man sitting at the Labyrinth, I might have discerned the same heavenly commerce for them.  Or had I been sensitive I might have observed the realities of Judith’s prayer, and the answers that were sent back.  What was my mother praying as she touched the stone of memory of my father – what angels attended to her?  And what angel brought me to the quiet room of the Buddha, so that I could welcome my own Redeemer’s power in life?  It was the commerce of this world that urged Jacob to depart from his brother, and it will be the commerce of heaven that will urge him to come back. 

We are in the business of the commerce of heaven and earth.  G-d observes.  Angels abet the commerce, the conversation, and the interaction of the two spheres.  And what is our purpose as priests – of this society – in this society?  What do we observe and what answers and meaning do we provide.  Jacob assigns a name to his arbitrary resting place – Beth-El – House of G-d.  Is that the intersection that we occupy as well?  How is G-d present in what we do?

For now, I think, it is we who ascend and descend the ramp.  It is we who are the messengers.  Where in our world does the ramp come down to connect our world with the heavenly world?  That is our duty to determine and to share with others in our calling.  We must provide a way that reveals its quietness and hiddenness as a sign of its true nature – a way to Emmaus, a path with Abraham and Sarah, a way in the wilderness.  It is ours to share with others.  It is ours to set up a stone of awareness, and anointing with oil to make real its purpose.  Our rock, our hands, our oil, our hearts, G-d’s message, our priestly ministry.

SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment